I love this cake. I love it’s simple, modern look and of course I love the taste! With fluffy, moist, white cake, decadent cream cheese frosting & a touch of coconut flavor, it is a light and bright match for Spring!
for the cake:
- 5 Eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil melted & cooled
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 2 1/4 cup Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- Flaked Coconut
for the cream cheese frosting:
- 16 oz. Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Let’s get baking! Preheat your oven to 325 degrees & grease your desired cake pans.
- Separate your Egg Whites and Yolks and set aside
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer, beat together Sugar, Butter & Coconut Oil until smooth
- Add Egg Yolks one at a time, mixing well
- Mix in Extracts
- In a separate bowl, sift together Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda & Salt
- Add to creamed mixture alternating with Milk
- In a large bowl, whip Egg Whites on med/high until Stiff Peaks form
- Scoop half of whipped Egg Whites into batter and fold until combined
- Fold in remaining Egg Whites
- Fill Cake Pans & Bake!
- cooking time will vary based on pan sizes. Whether you decide to bake a 13 x 9″ or three 8″ rounds, I would start checking on my cakes around 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely
This is my “go to” Cream Cheese icing recipe. It is so amazing! You could put this on anything and it would be fabulous!
- In a large mixing bowl, beat Cream Cheese, Butter, and Vanilla until very smooth & fluffy
- On low speed, gradually add in Powdered Sugar
- If the icing is too thin, refrigerate until desired consistency
Once the icing is at desired consistency, it’s time to assemble! Place a very small about of icing on cake stand to act as glue for the first tier.
Brit Tip: Place the bottom layer right side up and the top layer upside down to help get those crisp lines!
Follow the first layer with a generous portion of cream cheese frosting and a dusting of flaked coconut. Continue with the second and third layer. Frost the entire cake, try to keep those lines clean, then dust with coconut. Mmmmm.
Brit Tip: To keep your cake stand clean, place small pieces of parchment or wax paper around cake (slightly under) and gently pull out after coating it in coconut.
This cake recipe is also perfect for Easter Bunny Cupcakes. Do you have a favorite Easter dessert? Let me know in the comments below!